Bob Harper, trainer to Oprah and contestants on The Biggest Loser published a book earlier this year entitled The Skinny Rules. It’s touted as, “ the last diet book you will ever read.” I think it’s definitely worth checking out to help reinforce some things you may already know, but begrudgingly choose to ignore.
A few rules that make a lot of sense to me:
- Eat protein at every meal
- East 30 to 50 grams of fiber everyday
- No carbs after lunch
- Eat Apples and Berries everyday
Amongst the rules, there are some great recipes including The Skinny Shake, which I drink almost every morning to start my day.
Ingredients to be mixed together in a blender:
- 3/4 c almond milk
- 3/4 c water
- 1 cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 c seasonal berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
*I like to double this recipe, so my husband and I end up with 1 and a half shakes each. I’ll drink one that morning and have another half shake the following day.
Nutritional Information for 1 serving:
- 319 calories
- 16g protein
- 46g carbs
- 9g fat
Try adding Superfood, Chia Seeds, to your shake. Unlike flax seeds, you don’t have to grind chia seeds to reap their health benefits, you can just throw in 1-2 tablespoon into your shake.
Benefits of Chia Seeds
- High in protein, twice as much as any type of grain
- 3x as many antioxidants contained in blueberries
- 2x as much potassium of a banana
- 3x more iron content as spinach
- 5x as much calcium as milk
- Full of omega 3 fatty acids
Nutritional Information for 1 ounce (2 Tbsp) of Chia Seeds:
- 137 calories
- 9g fat
- 12g carbs
- 11g fiber
- 4g protein